Sunday, November 7, 2010

Comfort

A few months ago the boy I loved more than anything in the world broke my heart.

It happened at a time when things seemed to keep going wrong. I didn't know what to do, so, when I didn't want to be alone with my thoughts, I knitted.


I knitted when I couldn't sleep, when I didn't want to talk, when I didn't want to eat, on the way to work when I was too sleep deprived to cycle, when I should have been filling in job applications and in the evening when I returned to our shared home.


When I started I didn't really know what I would end up with. I wanted a cardigan that would hug me, keep away the chills of winter and provide comfort during the lonely evenings.  I knitted  from the top down, with some raglan shaping for the sleeves. This turned out to be a pretty easy method, which didn't require much forethought or note scribbling.


I used one of my favourite yarns, New Lanark DK pure new wool in Pebble, from the natural blends collection. It produces a lovely substantial fabric, which is very cosy and feels like it will last a lifetime. I do love this cardigan, even though it's full of mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment